Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Dead eMac


Lonny and I just got back from The Apple Store. Yesterday my computer came on at 6:15am - just as it does every morning. I checked my email, facebook, and even tho YahooMessenger shut down on its own - it was a pretty typical morning. When I got home from school - I found an error message that said to restart my computer. I shut it down as it said, and it was never able to boot back up. Lonny came over after we checked out a few troubleshooting ideas online (yes, from his house) - and nothing worked. I made my appointment at the Genius Bar in Rosedale - got the last one available tonight - 8:40. Lonny was pretty sure that the Genius would be able to do something to repair what was wrong. Nope. Dead. Gone. Genius couldn't do a thing. As big tears welled up in my eyes - he knew he had to be a little more positive. Now - I really don't care about the computer. I was thinking I'd be getting a new one this summer or next - I even told mom and dad they could have my old Mac when I was done with it. It's the 5,000 photos that are on there that I'm really concerned about. Besides that - all my iTunes - most I have still on CD - but some are lost - and some tunes were purchased right from the iStore online. Anyway - long story short - I am computer-less right now. Lonny has an old spare I can use for a bit, but I'm pretty sure I'll be making yet ANOTHER major purchase yet this month! Geez! I think I'm single-handedly stimulatiing Minnesota's economy!! AND - please keep your fingers crossed that those experts in Eden Prairie can get my stuff off that hard drive - the photos at the very least! (PS - those tears - my Genius took out the hard drive for free - no labor cost. 'twas very nice of him) - (go buy a Mac product!)

Moral of the Story: Please go and BACK UP your precious files NOW. If you can't do it right now - make your plan to do it - and do it on a regular basis!

2 comments:

Stacie from MN said...

My sincere sympathies towards the loss of your computer...and files. It's kind of ironic, I was just thinking yesterday how I should really download the 500 pictures currently on the SD card in my camera before something happens to that.

Mama Kautz said...

Educators that purchase a mac get a free iPod touch...but I am totally sorry about your pictures!!!

ttp://www.apple.com/education/