Monday, February 01, 2010

Stoneware Potroast

Well, I've made my stoneware potroast a few times now - and have been asked to share how I do it. This is not saying that I'm awesome at this - I'm just sharing what I do.


1. If you've been using your stove as a store-all counter top - you might need to find some time to clean up before you get started.


2. Now that that's done - get out your sturdy deep dish frying pan.


3. Add some olive oil to heat up - and assemble your favorite seasonings (here you see my garlic powder, Onion Onion, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper).


4. Place your yummy cut of meat in oil - season. Sear meat.


5. Get out your deep dish stone. (I'm getting a new deep dish baker soon - but this has made due whilst I wait). . .


6. Because this is still a pretty "non-seasoned" stone - I used a paper towel to season the stone with olive oil.





7. Don't forget to sear the sides of the cut also! - and then transfer meat into stone.


8. Add beef broth or stock to pan.


9. Pour broth over meat. - Put in oven at 350? or so - for a few hours. (Go to Eagle's Nest with your favorite 3 year old while this slow-cooks.)


10. After a few hours - Cut up potatoes, carrots, onions to add to roast.


11. Look at that color! I kind of had a lot of veggies in this - thus the need for a larger stone! I tried to get as many potatoes as possible under that meat!


12. After another hour or so - lift the meat and veggies from the stone - arrange nicely on a serving plate. Pour the remaining juices from the stone - back into the same pan you used to sear. In a covered tuperware - mix water and flour together - then slowly add it to your juices as you whisk over heat. This makes The.Best.Gravy. You may want to add a little Worcestershire to spice it up . . .and my mom's secret ingredient - gravy browner (which hadn't been added yet in the photo) - makes it look pretty.

ENJOY!

3 comments:

Katie/The Family Chef said...

YUM!! I'm totally going to try this! Thanks! (I sear my roast and put it in the crockpot with potatoes and carrots, but a new way is always fun to try!!!)

Grandma said...

You go girl!!!

I didn't know you could do MOM's pot roast. Now you and Lonny don't need me to come to Minnesota anymore. :(

Looks awesome,

Love,
Mom

Grandpa Jerome said...

Martha Stewart, watch out, you have a MN school teacher who could replace you very easily.