Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Weekend in Wisconsin

This past weekend my cousin Heidi and I took a road trip out to Milwaukee.



history: This past June, aunt and uncle (LaVonne and Walt) were at my house on their way thru town - Heidi was talking to them about who knows what . . .yadda yadda yadda . .they invited us out to Milwaukee to check out the Wisconsin State Fair. SO! We found ourselves at the beginning of a 5.5 hour car ride when Heidi got off work at 8pm last Friday. It was a pretty easy drive (especially for me - as I slept most of the way!) We were warmly greeted even though it was 1:30 in the morning when we pulled into town. After some late night chit chat we hit the sack - planning to get up early for a day at the fair.

We kind of slept in - and ended up at the fair around 10am. I guess the big things at the WI State Fair are the Cream Puffs. So - of course we had them FIRST!



They were good - they were cream puffs. BIG cream puffs.



I'm glad we had them - because everyone who knew we were at the fair asked us if we had them. We did hook up with another cousin of Heidi's (from her dad's side) and his wife - so they sort of served as our State Fair Guides. :)

After we could eat, walk, or see no more - we headed back to Walt & LaVonne's house. After dinner (yeah - I really don't know why we had dinner either!) - we headed downtown to Milwaukee's Historic Third Ward. There was a Jazz Festival going on - and we got to see Wynton Marsalis' little brother, Delfaeyo, play his trombone.



Pretty cool - now I've seen two of the Marsalis boys live. A night of touring downtown was cut short by me and my tummy issues. Yes, now everyone knows I need more fiber in my diet!



Sunday was Family BBQ day - which was great because cousin Pat and his girlfriend, Stefanie, joined us - as well as cousin Beth and her family.



It was a great afternoon of catching up and getting to know each other a little better. I truly hope we can stay in touch and see them all again really soon! Walt & LaVonne were terrific hosts - and I'm so happy we were able to stay with them!

Heidi and I got up Monday morning to start the drive back. We took our time with the trek across Wisconsin. We stopped when we wanted to - to eat (yes! we ate MORE!), pee, and check out a Cheese Haus to pick up some curds! We weren't even back home before we already had plans for Monday night! Julie and Donnie invited us to the St. Paul Saints game.



It was great - we tailgated, Heidi played in the Homerun Derby (& won a participation prize of a power drill!). The Saints won - and it was a beautiful night for outdoor baseball!




Great weekend - my only official summer vacation so far this summer - not too shabby!

1 comment:

Grandpa Jerome said...

Carrie,
You are such a party animal, I don't know where you get that.
Thanks for all the pictures of the Stumpf's and of you guys at the ball game. I hope LaVonne and Walt had as much fun as you did. Thanks to LaVonne and Walt for hosting the girls. I wish we were retired so we could have enjoyed all the events.