Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Christmas 2007

So - we left school Friday knowing we had 2 full weeks off - but that it would seem like nothing . . so here's to making the most (and enjoying!) my vacation!

Started off great - with a trip to the airport Friday night to pick up mom and dad. Lonny and I both went. By the time we got to Lonny's, Alice was already sleeping - so mom and dad would have to wait a little bit longer to see the Princess.

Saturday morning was busy as I was rushing around my apartment - trying to get everything perfect for my Polish Cousins. Pierogi and Cabbage Rolls have been a part of Christmas since I can remember. As an adult (and my mom living far far away my whole adult life) - I realized I'd have to know how to make them if I really want to have them! :) I'm not sure what year this all started - but I do remember making cabbage rolls at Heidi's apartment in New Brighton (while Lon and Jon played video games). . . and also pierogi one year at my apartment in Fridley (while Lon and Jon played video games) using a Pam can wrapped in tin foil as a rolling pin! Well, a few years ago it became an official mark of the holiday season when Julie, Heidi, and I gathered at my house to cook. Yes, Lon and Jon were there . . .not helping - but (you guessed it) playing video games! :) Last year, my Norwegian mama was in town, so she joined us with her expertise! She learned from the master (our Grandma Mary) so we were in good hands! Alice, Kelsey, and Abbey were also there last year - and that was cool to see K & A getting into it also! So! This year was a hit - most of us were there - Julie, Heidi, Me, Lon/Jaime/Alice, Jon/Genevieve, Mom/Dad, Mary Joy, . . . and Uncle Jim even came for a bit! (Oh yeah - and Jaymie stopped by on her way home from St. Paul . . . I don't think she'd seen my parents since my wedding!)



Alice Mae gets ready to leave the party



I feel like I did a lot of running around - rather than actually helping with rolling, cutting, or general cooking . . .but it was a blast! We had sloppy joes, Christmas cookies, chips, and potato salad for lunch. I love hosting people . . . so all went well!

After our event - mom/dad/jaime/lon/alice and I headed up to Blaine to Auntie Sue's house. There was a chili dinner there with many cousins, Grandma and Grandpa, and other members of the Sanchi Jebanobe group (owners of our hunting land/shack in northern MN). Alice got to play with her second cousins - except for her newest one - Hannah Sophia was born earlier that morning!

Sunday was a yucky day for weather. Lots of blowing snow and icy roads - but we were out in it - cuz we needed to shop! Mom, Dad, and I did a lot of running around whilst Lon's were up at Jaime's family's "Little Christmas Eve." We did gather that night at Lonny's tho - for Sunday Chicken Dinner and the Vikes (eek).

Monday - Christmas Eve. Relaxing morning here at home - then went back up to Blaine for Christmas dinner with mom and dad. All were there except Jeff/Bridget and Lon/Jaime. Even baby Hannah was there!!! Good time - lots of noise (and only 3 kids making it!!!) - but fun to hang out with cousins and Grandma and Grandpa again.



Me & Mom - Self Portrait

Grandma & Grandpa & 3 of their Great Granddaughters

Bob & Sue & Grandkids

Kyla gets down to business

Caleb can do it to!




Yesterday - Christmas Day. Brunch at Lonny's - I made mini quiches (very good) - and we also had cinnamon rolls. We checked stockings and opened gifts - and then lounged in our PJs. Alice enjoyed her haul - yes, haul! - and having Grandma and Grandpa to play with. Uh - we also watched 40 year old Virgin - as Dad had seen part of it on regular tv at my house - so we pulled out Lonny's DVD. Kind of a weird movie to watch with your parents - I'm just sayin' - so for you - "note to self." Christmas Day was fun and relaxing - and then about 7pm or so I brought mom and dad back to the airport. (I wonder if Alice is waking up this morning thinking "where in the heck did everyone go??")


Alice took her gifts to her Elmo chair to open them



December 26th - first official day of vacation. . . . got up at 8am with puppies, will shower soon, may go have lunch with Lon/Alice and maybe do some shopping with all of them when Jaime gets home from work. Yup. Or I'll do nothing. Who knows?? I'm on VACATION!!!

:) Merry Christmas!!

6 comments:

Grandpa Jerome said...

Thanks for the wonderful time, we really enjoyed our Christmas break even though it snowed almost every day. The worst part of the trip was last night, we left the gate in Msp on time but by the time we were in line to get de-iced and then got de-iced, we took off from MSP 1 hour late. Not bad though, I slept throug most of it and all the way home. Mom didn't sleep so good so she maybe tired out today. I at work putting out fires, some that have festered since last Friday. Some I could have fixed from my Laptop at Lonny's but I guess they would rather complain now than then.

Anyway, thanks for the great time, but next year, leap year, Christmas in on Thursday, I think you will be spending the holiday in Las Vegas,

Love Dad,

PS: Dance with Alice for me.

Mama Kautz said...

pheww I am tired just reading your post....Dave is home until Wednesday and we aren't going anywhere...it is WONDERFUL...don't go to Vegas ya'all should come HERE although it is a bit chillier than Vegas and we haven't seent the ground since Thanksgiving from all that white stuff. Enjoy the rest of your vacation :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the picture of Alice in her Elmo chair opening gifts. That's awesome. You can only go to Vegas next year if you promise to get together with the LRHs to make cabbage rolls and perogies before you leave! We have to have the Care Bear!

Love Heidi

Grandpa Jerome said...

Since all of you read this, here is the deal; lets have a gathering in Las Vegas after Christmas next year in Las Vegas.

Christmas is on Thursday, so we could make a long weekend Thur, through Sunday. If you are a niece or a nephew, you are invited, bring your spouse or significant other and family and we will have a great time.

The living room may look like the Jonestown massacre but it would be fun.

Think about it.

Uncle Lon,

Dad and
Grandpa Jerome

Grandma said...

We did have a GREAT time! It is so much fun to help with the LRH cabbage roll/perogi fest... but you guys do a great job on your own, and don't need me there...so thanks for letting me take part!

Cute pictures (of course) of the Princess. None do justice, however, since there is no camera or photographer quick enough to keep up with her cute expressions and movements. Be sure to give her an extra hug when you see her, from Grandma.

Since Lon has already invited everyone out here after Christmas next year, y'all start saving your money for plane fares, and I'll start cleaning house so we're ready - we'll have a blast!

Love,
Grandma

Mama Kautz said...

We're all in for Vegas...Dave's aunt works at Bally's so that works for us...plane faire for 6 er 7 hmmm...better save now LOL that would be a nice break from this white sh**