Sunday, August 21, 2005

Blind Date Sunday

Ok - so today was a day of mediocrity. Both Ann and I had dates set up for today. Both guys we met online. I was excited.. she not so much. . .but it was to be an interesting day.

I was to meet Big Red at Maria's on Franklin at 10:30am. I got there a little early- as I didn't want him to be watching me walk in - so it was around 10:20 or so when I arrived. I waited in the doorway for a little while - telling people, no, I'm not waiting to be seated, please, go ahead. At 10:26 Big Red text messaged me saying he was running late. I messaged back - saying i was going to sit down. There was texting - and a few phone calls - all assuring me he was thisclose and was passing thislandmark. . .blah blah blah. I started making deals with him in my head while watching the minutes pass by. One of my last texts to him was that he had 3 minutes. He claimed (for the 2nd time - that he was on Franklin - and was minutes away). Finally, at 11:30 (one HOUR after we'd planned to meet) - I left $5 on the table (for the 3 glasses of water I drank) and walked out the door. To be fair - I watched every vehicle that came into the lot - so we didn't just miss each other. At 11:45 he calls me and says he JUST PASSED Maria's and was turning around. I told him I wasn't there anymore. Very short/quiet conversation - he says bye - and hangs up. Seriously - at this point - I'm now wondering if he isn't some ass who's sitting at home seeing how long he can keep the innocent girl waiting for some imaginary date. It didn't end there (oh, lord, I wish I would have just left it alone - cuz no one would have faulted me for never speaking to him again). I decided to go to a movie - and he ended up coming over to my place (cuz no, I will not meet you - if you wanna come - then you be to my place by 1:45 - before I leave). So, he came over - gave me hugs (uninvited, I might add) and was all like "how ya doing?" (like 4 times) - dude - you just pissed me off - maybe let's skip the generic greetings. Anyway - we went to the movie (I paid for my own) - and he like grabbed my hand - and with his fingers - rubbed my fingers for practically the WHOLE movie. Yes, he did move to my leg a few times (once when i had pulled my hand back and crossed my arms - NOTE TO GUYS: this is a SOCIAL CUE. When a girl has her arms crossed - she DOESN'T want you to grab her hand - probably doesn't even want you touching her . . take the CUE. So - it was bad - i was rolling my eyes in the dark theater - and was truly waiting for the "date" to end. The whole way home - i was wondering what i would say to make sure the date actually DID end at this point. I must have come off as a true bitch- cuz he finally took the hint - and he didn't even come in to hug/kiss me at all. THANK GOODNESS! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that he's a smoker - and he completely stunk like cigarettes the whole time - and for at least an hour after he left - I could still SMELL/TASTE that god-awful smell!

Ann's date - with The Half J - finished not long after mine - and she'll have to comment to give the full story - but short story is: no chemistry - and lots of awkward pauses. Neither of us had eaten - so we went to eat and gab about our equally entertaining guys. We went to some Mexican restaurant - which seemed to attract Spanish-speaking customers - may be because staff could barely speak English? - this is a fact - we were the only white people in the place. And to top off our wonderful days - the food was very dry, Ann's pop had no fizz, and the karaoke guy (singing in Spanish) turned the music up so loud that we were practically screaming at each other to talk.

So now I'm alone again in my apartment - and feeling VERY ok with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, why was your date still single? So sorry you had a crappy Sunday. At least you didn't have to watch him eat.