Monday, October 29, 2007

Surreal Day

Ok - so I WAS just going to come on here and muse about my trip to Target. I was at the pharmacy this afternoon. Ya know nowadays when you go shopping - you get your receipt plus some coupons that kinda "go" with what you're purchasing? (ie. - in the past I've gotten pizza roll coupons when I've bought frozen pizza). . .ANYWAY. . I get this coupon for $1 off Target brand diapers! Yay. I then smiled at the cashier and took my bag of BIRTH CONTROL pills, thank-you-very-much!

Now for the crappy part - so it was a gorgeous day outside. I should have mowed - but no - I wanted to take advantage of getting home early (which REALLY wasn't early after said trip to Target). Took dogs to park. Got into park. Baxter pooped, Bella chased ball. We walked INTO park . .found a good spot . . . Baxter playing with other dogs, Bella poised to play fetch. I threw the ball. Shoot. Two smaller dogs ran into area where ball was going. Dogs got too close to ball - Bella let them know what she thought. Shortly after Bella came back to me - I noticed one of the smaller dog's owners was on all fours with her dog - checking her out. I brought Bella over there - and asked if she was alright. Owner couldn't find anything wrong - but her dog was acting weird. I let her know that B. had all her shots and was up to date on everything. After a few minutes of searching - she found a scrape (or a bite??) under her dog's belly. It wasn't bleeding - it was like a scrape - where a flap of skin was hanging. I again asked her if she needed anything from me - she said I should leave the park. My stomach went into my throat. I said "what??" - She cited - and there is a statement - that dogs should be under control at all times - and if your dog becomes aggressive - you need to leash your dog immediately. (1. Bella was not aggressive. - she acted in an aggressive way. 2. I had Bella by the collar the whole time I was interacting with this lady.) Again I asked her if she needed anything from me - and then I turned with Bella to find Baxter. I couldn't see him anywhere . . as we were looking - this woman came up to me and said on second thought, she'd like to see Bella's tags to make sure they were all up to date. I took her collar off - and gave it to this wench. She asked if I had a pen - I did not. She asked if she called my vet - would they know Bella. Of course they would - I said. She was then satisfied - and as Bella and I headed toward the gate - I saw him. Baxter got separated from us - and where did he go - to his leash. He knew his mama would come back for him! (what a good boy!!!) :)

Anyway - shortly thereafter we left the park - I had avoided using the gate while SHE was there. . .and of course, right as we exit the park - there she is. The dogs went toward each other to greet - I pulled my two - and headed toward the parking lot. (She did too). I got the dogs in the car - and looked up to see Chuck and Carol (Paul's grandparents) walking by. We waved - and greeted - and then I went to them to say hi. At this time - SHE was now LEAVING the parking lot with her dog - as if going BACK toward the park. I was like what the heck? Is she stalking me???

Turns out she called Animal Control. She approached me again as I was saying goodbye to Chuck and Carol - and getting into my car to leave.

Of course I waited. The officer treated me like a criminal - asking me if I could stand back while she gave her statement. Then - as she's giving her info - they're like joking around and freakin' GIGGLING!! Whatev - I then got to give my statement - he took a photo of the injury (which he had to look for for a bit). . .

So that's that - now we wait. I guess the report now goes to the "Manager". . . and in about a week or so it is decided if Bella is a Dangerous or Potentially Dangerous Dog. Both of those labels would be automatic revocation of her dog park license. Dangerous also gets her picture on the city's website, along with my name, address, and the offense. (none of the 6 dogs currently on there are there for biting another dog - attacking - but not biting).

Soo. . ah. . lots of tears tonight - lots of guilt. What if I mowed my lawn instead? What if it wasn't so gorgeous out? What if I hadn't wasted that hour at Target? What if I would have moved 50 feet further down the park?? EEEK. This sucks. Also - there is an appeal process. . . so I guess if this comes out against Bella - we do have the chance to speak up.

Here's my thinking:

1. We're at the FREAKIN' DOG PARK!!

2. We don't even know if that scrape was a bite? or a scrape on a wood chip? or a scrape on something else??

3. I was very responsible from minute one. I approached the owner. I asked her multiple times if she needed stuff from me. Should I have walked away?? Part of me wishes I just would have walked out. But if that happened to my dog - I'd want the owner to show concern!

4. That HAS happened to my dogs. . . I don't think they've ever been BITTEN . . but they have been in scuffles. . dogs are dogs! They have toys - they want to show dominance - dogs get too close to mamas . . it happens! It's a DOG PARK!

5. That damn ball is going to be our fricken leather glove! It's on the web and application not to bring toys. . but a lot of people do. Usually there's plenty of space - and about the same number are playing with toys as the number of those who aren't.

So - keep your fingers crossed for Bella. A. Let's pray they don't find her even Potentially Dangerous (this is a bad bad thing - involving 3' leashes, muzzles, and kennels for when people come over!) B. Let's hope she doesn't lose her park privileges. She loves it. Baxter loves it. And most of you know how much I love it.

Bummer night here in NE. And now - the waiting begins.

7 comments:

Grandpa Jerome said...

Carrie, Bella & Baxter.

Think positive, but be prepared for some adversity, hopefully, you have already suffered that.

Everything will work out.

We Love you All.

Dad

Mama Kautz said...

Oh ya I would be so scared if I saw either of your babies coming NOT that lady needs to get a life!! too bad said grandparents couldn't have given a statement on your behalf as well

::::crossing fingers::: for a good outcome

Melissa said...

WOW!!! ALl of that after a WINNER staff development day!!!! Yikes!!!!!

Keep your chin up....

my fingers and toes are crossed!

Grandma said...

All will be fine. Bella is a good dog, and you will all be fine. We love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I'd be curious to know how many complaints she has lodged against other dogs.
sorry for u and Bella
LRH1

Mama Kautz said...

good point about how many other complaints....and if she was whoopin' it up with the dog cop maybe they are friends????? just wonderin'

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh good point from LRH1...you should see if she has any other complaints out there. Then we can officially call her a biotch! I am rooting for ya Care Bear aka LRH3!

LRH2