Sunday, January 02, 2005

A New Year


This blog is our way of celebrating our new year - and our fresh start. We are two thirtysomething friends who have been having so much fun and adventure that we knew we had to share it with the rest of the world.

A quick look to how we got here:

Carrie

On April 15th of 2004 I found out that my husband of 5 years had been cheating on me. Not only did he cheat - but she was pregnant. For the past 8 months I have been trying to save my marriage, trying to deal with his lies, and ultimately trying to deal with the possibility of having this kid in my life (results from DNA test expected any day now). Somewhere in Nov. I realized that the lies and hurt were not stopping - and that only I could stop them - by leaving. I have filed for divorce - and have never been happier!

I have been re-discovering myself. My brother, Lon, even said he likes me again - I'm turning back into the Carrie he used to know and love. That's cool. I'm excited to get out on my own. I'm excited to start living life again - and I vow to myself that I will never again lose who I am.


Melanie
Overall 2004 was a decent year. Good on the work, family and friendship part - pathetic on the relationship front. I was in Austin, TX last year at this time. It was quite fun considering I've never been there and I love live music. I'm always a little leery of the South, but Austin sounded like a place I needed to see. I was with a friend who can sort of be a bore at times. She's nice, but rarely shocks or even surprises. I also went to Atlanta with a friend during spring break. I traveled there with an ex and after that trip it was completely obvious that we would not go back on the dating road. He's nice too, but a bit predictable. He's a Capicorn. I know, but I still think it matters. We did have fun at a Brave's game, except for the "Tomahawk Chop" - it was just a bit creepy.

This past summer I went to Ireland with a friend (the one I went to Austin with). I had an amazing time - plus I was out of my element with the whole driving on the opposite side of the road. I hadn't driven a stick in some time, but it was really fun. We got to see a lot of the south coast of Ireland. It's so beautiful there. I met me mum in England for a week after that and we had a super time. I love my mommy. In fact I want a tattoo of mom somewhere on my body, but so far I haven't received a real positive response about the idea. Anyways, me mum and I did some touristy things, shopped a ton, and went to a hilarious show. It was some abridged version of the Bible. It cracked me up, even my mom enjoyed it and she goes to church!

So I started teaching again this fall, which has been good. I'm not an amazing teacher, but I'm working on it. I love teaching ESL and in fact am considering teaching abroad next year. I've registered for a recruiting fair in Iowa. I'd love to go to Latin America and hone on my Spanish skills. I have two nieces and one is from Guatemala and I'd love to teach her some Spanish. Plus I just think it would be an amazing experience.

The boy front was weak to say the least this year. I started off messing around with an ex and that finally came to an end. I tried the internet dating, which was humorous to say the least. Met a few nice boys. One I ended up dating for about three months this summer. He's a chef, and in a band (+), but his name is Jason. This was like Jason #5 and the odds were against us. It was fun (most of the time) while it lasted.

So Carrie is a friend and co-worker. She's been through a lot of shit this year and I'm happy that we've gotten close over the last year. She's hilarious and it's been fun going out with another single gal who appreciates my humor. I've got some great friends, but they're married and what not. So whatever, I have to go. My mommy is buying me a DVD player today. Apparently these are not a fleeting trend, so I'll bite. Later!

No comments: