Sunday, January 30, 2005

the week of the ex-boyfriends

Well it's been an interesting week to say the least. Last Saturday when Carrie and I grabbed some food at Wilde Roast there was a bit of apprehensiveness about going there because my most recent ex-boyfriend is their head chef. I figured he'd be working, and I'm not sure what prompted us to go there. We were hungry for a light sandwich, and after some indecisiveness I ended up convincing myself that it's no big deal. I live in the neighborhood and, whatever, it's been since around September since I've seen him. I should be able to go into his work establishment, right? I kind-of felt like a stalker showing up there. Plus we'd been e-mailing a little and I was the last one to e-mail, which was like two or so weeks ago. In our awkward conversation he told me that, "I've been meaning to e-mail you." I told him I was over it, which is obviously not the case, or I wouldn't have shown up at his work. See, the problem is that I haven't had any new guy to completely take him off my mind. I'm used to having a back-up man. But my back-up is seeing someone else, leaving me back-upless. And I wasn't even that upset when he ended it! In fact, I was more mad at myself at my failed attempts to end the relationship earlier. It's not like there weren't any red lights. He was a little neurotic and even his sexuality was questionable. He loves Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and he'd made statements like "Harry Connick, Jr. is such a hottie" referring to his stint on Will and Grace. I mean, I've been down that road before. Another ex of mine loved watching old tapes of Liberace and in the end admitted to granting another man a blow job.

Whatever, the food was good and apparently he's becoming quite the success as he will be appearing on Kare 11 and making an entree on the morning show with Pat Evans and Roxanne Battle. It's not unusual for my ex's to become successful once we're over. One of my ex's is a dentist, another a scores music for movies and commercials(when we dated he was a recent graduate from Berkeley Music School and delivering newspapers).

Then this past Tuesday another ex (we're still friends - as much as you can be with an ex) took me out for dinner. I found out that the reason that he'd been even more selfish and distant than usual in the past several months was because he was back on smack. But now he's in a methodone program. We know the fare at Psycho Suzie's is scrumptious, but the conversation left much to be desired after he had dropped that little bomb. Oh, and then on Thursday "the love of his life" (whom he still had a relationship with) was murdered. So I've been trying to support him as best I can. It's quite tragic and in lots of newspapers. It's so horrible and guns suck!!!! I haven't had a "love of my life," but I think finding out that the person was murdered would be completely unbearable.

And on a lighter note, on Friday while Carrie and I were out at the CC Club (we were supposed to go to the Turf Club, but there was a long line to see Faux Jean)I ran into an old, old ex-boyfriend. We dated when I was in college, about seven or so years ago. He was (and still is) very funny and completely neurotic. For a Valentine's Day he gave me the romantic gift of sea monkeys. He's a Cancer (I'm a Sagitarius) and we weren't compatible because he is so sensitive and I'm a sarcastic ass(especially to those I care about). We had a great time catching up though, and he remembered details like my middle and last name (I didn't even remember his last) and my birthday! We exchanged numbers and I got his dating card which states, "How you doing?" His name and under that "Chicks dig me." It's very funny; I guess you can get these free business cards online. Whatever, perhaps I can have some fun before I possibly move out of the country. Even better, perhaps I can win the bet!

-Melanie

No comments: